Members have worked and collaborated with clients like:
“UNDOUBTEDLY THE MOST MEANINGFUL INVESTMENT I’VE EVER MADE. THE AMOUNT I’VE GROWN AS A PHOTOGRAPHER IN THE LAST MONTH IS MORE THAN I HAVE IN THE LAST THREE YEARS”
About The Program
The Modern Photography Academy offers a fresh approach to photography education. This is the only program that focuses on all essential areas of becoming a professional photographer — developing your photography aesthetic, building a profitable business with clients you love, discovering how the industry really works, and increasing your self worth and confidence.
Inside The Program
You will go behind the scenes on real brand campaigns and magazine editorials for clients like ELLE magazine, Faithfull The Brand and more. You will learn exactly how the projects came to life and how to create your own opportunities. You will get an inside look at how to develop a clear aesthetic that is attractive to clients, how to develop photoshoot concepts and proposals that lead to paid jobs, how to price and negotiate your work, and the logistics of producing professional photoshoots, especially during COVID. You will learn how to build a client base in a new country, book jobs abroad, make valuable industry connections and how to launch and scale additional sources of income.
Throughout the program, you will discover a life path that truly makes you excited, your self worth and confidence will grow, bigger opportunities will unfold and you'll no longer feel stuck. You will learn that it doesn’t matter what kind of camera you have or where you live. You'll learn the steps and actions you can begin taking right away to build a photography career that excites you. There is a whole world of opportunities waiting for you.
"I'M IN MALLORCA SPAIN SHOOTING A CAMPAIGN FOR FREE PEOPLE AND A STORY FOR A MAGAZINE. IT'S EXACTLY THE TYPE OF WORK I DREAMED ABOUT BEFORE TAKING YOUR COURSE, AND I REALLY COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU. IT'S SERIOUSLY AMAZING WHAT YOU ARE DOING." - JJ, The UK
What The Program Covers
Inside The Academy, we have worked with thousands of photographers from across the globe. We know what works and what doesn't. The course material is always being updated and adapted to reflect the current obstacles and opportunities photographers are facing today.
Receive information on hundreds of essential topics that would normally take years to collect, delivered to you in a clear and easy-to-follow program that you can refer back to forever. This path takes work and dedication, of course. And it won't always be easy. But we believe there is a path to success for every photographer and there is nothing different between you and the photographers you admire. You have the same potential as they do, and it’s time to tap into it.
It's impossible to list everything The Academy covers, but here are a few topics we dive deep into.
- Sharpening your photography skills: receive a full course on film photography, directing models, choosing the perfect camera (that's affordable), technical tips, shooting in natural light + more.
- Designing a strong photography aesthetic: Steps to building a cohesive photography brand that is powerful, consistent and marketable.
- Getting on the radar of high level clients: learn what your ideal clients are looking for and how to make genuine connections that lead to interesting opportunities.
- Creating a professional online presence: how the industry perceives you is everything. Put your best foot forward with an engaging social media presence. Use social media to
- Modern networking strategies: learn to use your camera to get into fashion shows and private events to make important connections with industry leaders.
- Working with modelling agencies: how to work with professional models, developing relationships with agencies, a look into who gets paid and how to navigate tricky situations.
- Building a professional photoshoot team of stylists, HMUA, etc: learn to secure teams of people you feel are "out of your league" to bring your visions to life.
- Professional photoshoot production: there are a hundred topics in this section alone. From to concept to completion, bringing a full photoshoot to life.
- Working during COVID: how the industry has changed since covid, why there are more opportunities for photographers now than before, how to be a solution to clients during travel restrictions, becoming more than just a photographer and providing extra value to secure jobs.
- Creating concepts and proposals that convert to paid jobs: A look at real, professional photography proposals and how to create your own effective proposals that show your value and lead to opportunities.
- Sourcing contact information within companies: knowing who to contact within a brand or magazine is key. It's important to know how to find their specific email so your proposals get in front of the right eyes.
- Communicating with confidence and certainty: Stop selling yourself short or projecting insecurity and self doubt. Get access to communication templates that show confidence.
- Pricing your work and negotiating effectively: learn exactly what other photographers are charging, the psychology of pricing and how to negotiate effectively. Learn how to price your own services.
- Case studies of real photoshoots - planning, pricing, communication, shoot day, challenges, post-production, etc: Get an in-depth look into the specific details of how many photoshoots were planned and executed.
- Booking jobs that allow you to travel: how to secure jobs with clients in places on your bucket list to travel to.
- Building additional income streams: you have many skills, experiences and talents beyond photography. Learn to tap into all your potential to create additional income streams for quicker financial freedom.
- The inner hierarchies of the fashion industry: From PR to Social Media Manager to Marketing Director, learn about the different roles inside large brands and who you should be connecting with.
- Getting published in magazines: how to create editorial proposals and connect with independent and global magazines.
- Screenshots of real life negotiations, pricing, client requests, etc.: Pure gold. Get a behind the scenes look at real client emails and screenshots. Knowledge is power and this will give you the confidence to create proposals and negotiate confidently.
- Clearing away self-doubt and comparison and confidently creating a life that feels exciting to you: you have so much to offer this world! It's time to get out of your own way, stop making excuses, and get to work creating a life at your highest potential.
- **BONUS - 30 Days Of Journalling Prompts: rewire your brain, gain clarity, flush out ideas and take steps forward.
+ many more topics, stories, strategies and tips!
"Today my photo was published in Vogue. From overdosing in the hospital 7 months ago to always being the person I wanted to be and it has everything to do with your guidance through your program and personal attention in the community" - Lisa, USA
About The Creator
The Modern Photography Academy was created in 2016 by Canadian photographer Carly Dame who is based in Paris. Each year the program is updated to reflect the unique opportunities and challenges present today. She has worked with clients like L’Officiel, Elle, Costume, by FAR, TRIANGL, Faithfull The Brand, Ralph Lauren, The Kooples and specializes in creative campaigns for clients across Europe. Prior to becoming a professional photographer, Carly worked as a professional accountant for a tech start-up in Canada. Her combined experience in business, technology, fashion photography and entrepreneurship provides a unique and valuable learning experience for photographers. She is self-taught and scaled her photography business to multiple 6 figures with a film camera in a few years. She has a special ability to help photographers see their potential, make the most out of the equipment they have, and build a life and career that is authentic and passionate. Every student that joins The Modern Photography Academy is given personal attention and guidance in their path to personal success.
"I've taken more photography workshops than I care to say. The combined effort of them is absolutely nothing compared to what you've created with The Modern Photography Academy. You've created something far beyond a photography course. I was struggling to understand the industry and find the confidence to move forward. Your program did this and a whole lot more. The details, the care, and personality intertwine to make something uniquely special" - Dwayn, The UK
Registration is currently closed until January 2022.
Please enter your name and email below to be notified when registration opens again, or if a space opens up before.
We hope to see you soon.
The Modern Photography Academy is not just a photography course with a bunch of videos on how to use your camera. It’s an online learning platform that gives you actionable steps to make dramatic shifts in your life and business so you can take your freedom back. Entering the industry can feel overwhelming. There is nowhere to get relevant advice and traditional photography school is expensive and outdated. The Modern Photography Academy is the answer. If it’s photography that you’re passionate about, you owe it to yourself to dive in fully and get the guidance you need. There is no greater feeling than being in control of your life, waking up to inquiries from brands you love, and getting paid more from one photoshoot than you made all month at your old job. Save years of time and thousands of dollars in missed opportunities or expensive mistakes by joining us in The Academy.
For the price of less than 1% of a traditional photography degree, The Modern Photography Academy will give you a firm understanding of the industry, and will help you create a photography business that is marketable, while keeping your personal vision and aesthetic alive. New ideas will begin to spark, your confidence will grow, opportunities will start to appear.
During the program, you'll have access to our online community where you'll receive answers to all your questions so you don't have to navigate this alone.
Do I Need A Special Camera To Join?
Do I Need To Be Available At Certain Times During The Week?
What If I'm Already A Full-Time Photographer?
Do You Offer Refunds?
How Is The Program Delivered?
What If I Have No Photography Experience?
When Will You Offer This Again? My Schedule Is Busy Now.
Do I Have To Participate In The Group And Share My Work?
What If I'm In Lockdown Or Can't Travel?
"I only made my Instagram account public a few months ago and now two of my shoots have been published in magazines (one is a print cover story?!), I have been paid for my photography, I'm negotiating a campaign with a brand, my life has purpose, I feel hopeful and excited, I know what I want and how to get it. And it's honestly very largely all thanks to you. I know you hear this a lot, but it really is. When I signed up to The Academy, I had no intentions of pursuing photography. I signed up because you were essentially living my dream life and I wanted to hear more about it, to live vicariously through you. Now I know I want to pursue photography with all my heart and soul.
- Anete, The Netherlands
"Carly, you are AMAZING. You are absolutely incredible and I'm in tears just writing this because I know that this course is completely a life changing moment for me. From your story sharing I immediately and instantly knew from the similarities that I was being called and needed to take this course. You have a special and magnificent way of connecting with people. Your teachings to help people learn and grow in photography are so simplified, deep and meaningful. You help people, like me, to dream and believe in themselves. Your kindness, grace and light shines through warmly and wonderfully to the world."
-Emily L.W., Canada
"I don’t even know where to begin. I feel like any words I could muster would not be able to fully convey my gratitude and appreciation for you and what you’ve done for me. I just felt like I had to take this program, and if I didn’t, I would regret it for quite a long time. I wasn’t even thinking that this would be the answer to my prayers at the time, but looking back, I am absolutely blown away. It was everything I had asked for and it’s helped me to gain the clarity and confidence I’ve been longing for. I feel like I can breathe again, deeper, more confidently than before. You’ve opened my eyes to what’s possible and have helped me to see that I don’t have to settle for what I had resigned myself to in the past."
- Raquel B, Los Angeles
"I feel my thesis paper is just as much a product of this course as a product of my MFA program. How wild is it that I feel like your program expanded my mind and served me more than the entire two years I spent in grad school. I cannot thank you enough for living your life so boldly and unselfishly deciding to share your knowledge with others. You have awakened parts of me that have been begging to be free for so long."
Registration is currently closed until January 2022.
Please enter your name and email below to be notified when registration opens again, or if a space becomes available.
We hope to see you in the new year!
"Thank you so much for everything you have given me. The information has been invaluable and I'm so glad I decided to join the program. I have a big job coming up around the $2k mark. I applied for another project that was supposed to be for someone more qualified, but I followed the program and took your advice and created a thoughtful proposal and they ended up creating a project for me. I also named my price instead of accepting a low base rate and they ended up doubling it! None of this could have happened without your program. I feel the best I have in a long time shooting 2-3 big projects per month. Thank you for all the love you put into the program. I have grown so much in so many different ways thank to you, Carly."